The problem is not peculiar to FRS.  1394 device driver support for Linux has
always had "issues".  It might be because of the proprietary nature of the
whole 1394 "stack" (proprietary as in "must be licensed", not necessarily
proprietary as in secret), particularly the various interface chips involved.
Probably not real issues with the PHY layer, but when you start moving up the
stack, there's a fair amount of intellectual property in those highly
integrated chips. And, it's not just the link layer, it's also whatever you're
actually trying to talk to (e.g. disk drive, video camera, audio interface,
what have you), which has its own set of IP concerns.

If you go to TI's website for instance, most of the (very sketchy) datasheets
for parts that are on mobos or consumer adapters say something like "This
product is for high-volume PC applications only. For a complete datasheet or
more information contact supp...@ti.com" Parts like the tsb82aa2b have
databooks, but they're not the necessarily the ones in cheap consumer gear.

The Linux driver stack, I think, supports any of the OHCI style devices, which
should cover the vast majority of modern systems.  However, you then need a
driver to talk to whatever's at the other end of the link (i.e. your adc or dac
hardware), and that might be where the issues are.

I think that there are hooks in jack that talk to the FA66 (from the FFADO
folks, who are doing a fairly decent job).

I'm pretty sure the dttsp-linux folks are successfully using the FA66, so there
is a path to what you need.

You might wander on over there and ask.
Jim