On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Ray Andrews <k9...@rnacs.com> wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> Watch your disk activity light.  My old XP machine had very spikes each time
>> the disk was accessed.  Only solution was new PC.
>
> It is not happening every time there is disk I/O. I did consider that
> it might be the system stopping the disks for power saving but even
> that has been disabled.

Well, it turns out I lied. Turns out windows WAS stopping the disk.
Somewhere along the line something, probably the upgrade to SP3,
turned the power-save feature back on and set the hard drive to spin
down and shut off. When something caused a disk access later and the
drive was off, DPC latency went through the roof. Now that the disk is
set to never turn spin down the DPC latency peak is only 2320 us. That
seems within reason and works fine in Safe Mode 1.

Regardless, thank you Ray for putting the bug in my ear to go back and
check again. Several times now a software update has changed settings
on me so I need to remember that Microsoft *will* change settings away
from what the user has set.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL