Paul,

If I remember correctly, clicking "XVTR present" on the Setup tab only
pertains to having an internal DEMI FRS 2m transverter installed on top of
the SDR-1000 board stack.  For external transverters, I believe that box
remains unchecked, and only the Transverters setup screen needs to be
configured.

At one point, I had my 1-watt SDR-1000 driving an external DEMI 144-28HP,
which in turn drove my Lunar-Link LA-22, with a LNA Technology CAV144
preamp on RX, all sequenced by an external N6CA sequencer driven with a
footswitch.  It worked great - essentially a 1500-watt 2m SDR-1000.  I had
no issues with relay racing as I moved across the band.  I'm now expanding
to a multi-band setup with the Flex 5K, which sets up almost identically.

You are correct on the power setting.  100% means 100% out of the SDR-1000.

73,
Dan  KB5MY/6  DM13nc