From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Woodrick, Ed
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Flex Radio
Subject: [Flexradio] Choice of PCs

Wow, check the forum today and there's been a lot of messages, many about the
choice of computer.

Now, I'm not a Flex expert, but I do know computers, and I feel that I can
definitely stand behind the following statements.

It will be next to impossible to guarantee that a computer is going to work
with the Flex radios.

The hardware of the computer is only part of the equation, the OS is only a
part, the loaded software and configuration can be a MUCH bigger part.

Anti-virus and processor speed utilities can have very detrimental impact to
operation. If your anti-virus program is set to scan the disk, memory, or
anything else, it can, all by itself, on the fastest computer that exists, make
the performance abysmal.

What will help is to have a very basic OS installation with known good
peripherals such as Firewire ports. If you get a new computer that comes with
the Google Toolbar and/or anti-virus or anything non-Windows already installed,
your performance may already be an issue. Many computer professionals
automatically reload the operating system without all of the add-ons when they
get a new computer.

Once you have a clean Operating System installed, stop there. Don't install any
other programs. Don't install Microsoft Office. Don't install your anti-virus.
DO run Windows Update and get ALL of the latest updates. DO install PowerSDR
and hookup to your radio.

Test, Test, Test. Talk, Talk, Talk.

Now, if you had a regular radio, would you install a toaster in it? What about
using it as a remote control. Hopefully your answer is no. So why do you make
your SDR controller a Word Processor? A game machine? A movie viewer?

If you must, you can add the extra features to the PC, but do it one at a time
and test and talk after you add each one.

So, in my book it really doesn't matter what computer anyone else is using.
Unless I know the hardware, the peripherals, and all of the software on it, I
can't compare it to anything else.

Ed WA4YIH