Mike,

Things may have changed since you used SVN last.

Based on your e-mail, you have only downloaded the binaries for the TRUNK.  The
trunk is the current PowerSDR release (v1.18.0) with only bug fixes.  It is the
most stable PowerSDR binaries in the SVN tree (excluding the tags).

The SVN folder that has the alpha/beta code is
PowerSDR/Branches/Test/bin/Release (as opposed to /PowerSDR/trunk/bin/Release
where you just recently created a repository via a "checkout").  You will need
to create different folder and do a checkout for that repository if you want to
use alpha code.

So to answer your questions:
1. Is it OK to right-click on the PowerSVN folder, select SVN Update?
[Tim] Yes.  Any folder that has the SVN "check mark" can be updated.  If you
update a "parent" folder, all of the "child" (sub-folders) below it will be
updated too

2. If I do this, I am assuming that PowerSDR 1.18.0 is to be shut down.
[Tim] Only the application you are updating needs to be shut down or you will
get an update error because it can not up date a file that you have open.  As a
best practice. Shut down PowerSDR before updating

3. After I download the SVN(s), will I see an SVN number at the top of PowerSDR?
[Tim]  Not necessarily.  SVN has many different PowerSDR (and other
applications) project folders.  An update in any folder in SVN increments the
SVN number.  That does not mean that the folder you have checked out is the one
with the update just because the SVN number incremented.  You have to look at
the SVN log to figure out what has been changed.

For more information about the SVN tree structure and how it is used, see the
following KB article
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50243.aspx

The bottom line is do the SVN update on the checkout folder and you will get
the latest version for that folder.

-Tim