Mike,

If the SWR is less than 1.2:1 I don't think that the tuner needs to tune anything and drops out. My dummy load won't tune either, but doesn't need to. Also my 75 meter does not tune, but it is 1.08:1.. at 3.847,, but at 3.55 it's 3.3:1, but the tuner will re-tune it to 1.1.. Look at it this way, the SW is smart enough not to waste your time trying to better your match.. One way to check it out is to T two dummy loads together to create a 2:1 load and try it there..

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

Mike Sch. wrote:
Tim; Thank you for your prompt reply! I will add my comments below, and trim off some the unneeded...

Tim Ellison wrote:
Mike,

See my comments in-line below

-Tim

What I did not know was that the "fast tune-up" was not a tune-up after all! (I had interpreted the ATU button (in RED) and the BYP (in YELLOW) as what I was looking for, in normal operation. On page 58 of the Flex-3000 operator manual, I see that I should see the ATU in GREEN.

[Tim] If the ATU button turns green, then it was able to match something better than what you had previously. If not it will be bypassed.

[Mike] OK on that; I am tuning into a KNOWN GOOD (tested on an IC-756 Pro-II in RTTY and AM modes) dummy load. I have an expected 1:1 match, no reflected on the Icom radio. It was my hope that the ATU would accept the dummy load that I am using.

I did see the ATU button in GREEN one time only, this on an antenna that is less than 3:1 VSWR. (This one time event was seen today, after a few hours of power-OFF for the radio.)

[Tim] The ATU will only tune antennas that are in between 1.1:1 to 3:1

[Mike] My point exactly. I am tuning into (mostly) the MFJ dummy load. (This should meet the minimum requirements.) I have tried two different coax cable assemblies, when I have tried to tune the Flex into the dummy load; -I have this same non-tune into the dummy load and/or to the actual antenna.

[Mike] Yet, if I do not tune, (if I ignore the ATU's refusal to tune) I see 10 Watts of FWD power, and 0 Watts of REF power when I have the dummy load attached to the Flex-3000. (As it should be, when I am using a dummy load.) My point is that the dummy load is OK.

At all times (even when I first powered the unit up, and did a test transmission into the dummy load while chatting with Dudley), I see the SWR indication under the TX meter selection as 0.0:1. -As one would expect, transmitting into a dummy load.

[Tim] The SWR meter only works when tuning. If you are just transmitting, the SWR meter will always show 0.0:1

[Mike] OK on this. I had not known this, but I accept. When I attempt an ATU-tune (the ATU attempts for a second (maximum time), then refuses) I do not see any REF power. -Again, I am using a dummy load, so this is as it should be. I should not see any reflected power, and I do see the (10) watts of forward power, as it should be.
My settings and findings:
   AM mode; Power is set to 10 Watts
   10 Watts forward in TX meter FWD PWR
   0.0 Watts showing in the TX meter REF PWR
   0.0:1 showing in TX meter REF PWR

[Tim] Those numbers look exactly how they should for AM @ 10 watts.

[Mike] I agree. The above is what I get, when the Flex is attached to my dummy load.

[Mike] But..., I am expecting the ATU to TUNE (show the ATU button as GREEN) in this condition. (It should be easy, as I am using a dummy load...) -THIS is my point, that the ATU will not tune into a dummy load, nor into my 2:1 to 3:1 "real antenna."

[Mike] The ONE time that the Flex-3000's ATU worked for me, the time it took was considerably longer than the one second or less that I have always seen. I accept and understand the time needed to tune. This ONE TIME, with the longer tune period, was the ONLY time that I saw the ATU button showing a GREEN color. In all other times and cases, I see the ATU as GRAY or YELLOW.

[Mike] I have attached an LDG Z-11 Pro to the Flex-3000; This unit will tune my dummy load as well as my 2:1 to 3:1 "real" antenna.

Thanks for your support.   73!    -Mike-   K0JTA