I haven't tried it with any other laptops, but I've found that my Dell Vostro 1500 w/ Core2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40 GHz and 4 GB of RAM works very reliably with the FLEX-5000, FLEX-3000, SDR1000, with no special hardware of any kind (running cw or ssb; haven't tried it yet with any of the digital modes). I'm using the built-in firewire port and video card. The only enhancement I've made is to boost the RAM from 2GB to 4GB but that was only because this is also one of my software development machines and VisualStudio 2008 and SQL Server Management Studio take their toll on memory.

The only hiccup here is that the built-in wireless NIC causes extremely long DPC's, so when I'm running any of the radios I just disable the card via the control panel, and plug in a network cable (or not). Other than that, I run the radio at the same time as Pidgin (instant messaging), Thunderbird (email client), Skype and Zone Alarm Extreme Security without issue.

I find that the combination of the laptop and the FLEX-3000 is a particularly convenient and compact setup. In fact, I enjoyed working 20m CW from a picnic table in the backyard this past weekend when the temp's were in the mid-80's.

All of that said, a dedicated box is certainly a worthwhile idea, especially with the relatively low price of computers today.

73, Dale
WA8SRA

David Donaldson wrote:
Excellent idea Brian.I firmly believe the flex computer should be set up and
dedicated to the flex box and flex box alone.
it is the only way to guarantee the flex will work to its best and sound as
it should.
With the price of computers so cheap it is the only way to go!
Why spend $2.5k on a flex 5k and then agonize over a few hundred dollars to
have a trouble free computer for it.
I don't think any laptop is capable of working properly with the flex 5k
without substantial modifications and reprogramming of the OS.
I tried for ages with various laptops and motherboards and a new computer
with the network cards disengaged, Windows XP reduced as much as possible,
no internet, no antivirus, a dedicated firewire card solved the problems of
digital sounding audio and freezes. No other program other than those
required by flex. Make sure you get a fast chipset, plenty of fast Ram and a
quad processor. Anything that is reccommended as a hot games machine will be
good on the flex.
Now it can stay on for days in the normal mode at 96khz sampling with no
problems.
It is like trying run a race car on crossply tires. it can run but it won't
corner very well.....
Dave