Wow is right. It is hard to understand just how impressive 40F really is. 40G sounds the most impressive but to the trained ear and tools, 40 F is amazing. The Flex 5000 is utterly coherent through the oscillators. It is two different DDS's that are synchronized by a built in system which Gerald made sure was supported. As soon as we made the software oscillators coherent (identical in fact) and then applied a phase and amplitude modification (scalar) to one of them for phasing, we get a phase stable system.

I was expecting it to work but I had no idea it would be this impressive.

More things like this are to follow.

Frank mentioned one person who had done some phasing experiments. I would also like to mention Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA who has done a really neat version. I intend to steal his user interface idea completely. It makes both mathematical and user sense.

Bob

Lee A Crocker wrote:
I made a few more clips.  The effect can be spectactular or very subtle.  In
40-E  I found on static the source is sort of from a quadrant and so the
notching is very broad.  None the less I could get about 3dB of noise
reduction.  In 40-F the SWBC is dramatic.  The station was very weak.  If this
had been a CW station it would have been Q5.  Finally in 40-G the AM BC station
is about 4 miles north of my house and extremely strong.  The effect is
amazing!!  (and the tuning is critical)

As to the static canceling question, you have no real need of using the second receiver,
just make another watch receiver and use the in-band noise you already have contained in
the 192khz base band.  I expect this test by Bob is the first step toward that goal.
Once that is accomplished it will be the gorilla of "next killer apps!!!"

73  W9OY

w9oy-sdr.blogspot.com

(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"You don't need to see the whole staircase, just
take the first step.", MLK.
Twitter:rwmcgwier
Active: Facebook,Myspace,LinkedIn