Eric and I have begun adding the diversity reception capability to the Flex 5000. It will work for those 5000's which have the RX2 installed. In my diversity branch, one can find the enabled code. It is VERY rough but as you can tell from Lee's blog:

http://w9oy-sdr.blogspot.com/

the software antenna diversity can be used for signal enhancement by increased gain or by noise source nulling.
It is rough to use and must be done manually for now.

If you start running the code

svn co svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_windows/PowerSDR/branches/n4hy/diversity/bin/Release

you will be able to type ctrl-alt-D and bring up the form that you can see on Lee's blog. With RX1 and RX2 hooked to separate antennas, you "tune the array" using the right hand side of the DSP form.

When you bring it up, and you have set RX1 and RX2 to the same mode and filter size, you click "sync" and then enable. This does several things. It locks the two VFO's together in hardware and then enable does it in software as well.

You then play with mag, angle, and gain to optimize the signal you are wishing to listen to. This is pretty rough, but it does work. This will be automated for HF Shortwave folks in SAM-Diversity as soon as possible to do automated signal combining and as we learn from that, we will add additional capabilities. After this is completely vetted and made easier to use, it will be added to the main stream.

THANK YOU to Lee for doing this blog entry and adding the mp3's showing the effects.
Bob

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.