Ed,

There are lots of causes, settings, RF, poor FireWire, etc..
First,  do you hear it in the Monitor?
Second,  does it do it into a dummy load?
Third,  isolate from the mic input.
Fourth, you can make a recording of yourself into a dummyload with the Monitor on (so the recorder can hear you) then play it back, looping on the air, this disconnects the mic from the radio internally, if the other can not hear it on the recording but when you are using the mic then there is RF in the mic input somewhere.. If the raspy noises are still in there with the clear recording playing back, then it's in the system somewhere, maybe RF in the FireWire link. Be sure to check the grounding including the computer.

Try some of this and let us know.

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

Ed Helms wrote:
I am using a 5000a with a Heil PR40 mic. My audio reports are that it has a
raspy edge to my words. I cant seem to adjust it out...any suggestions?
N4zvn>Ed