At 12:06 6/10/2009, Bob Tracy wrote:
Dave,

Set any of the CAT Control parameters you require before checking the
"Enable CAT" checkbox.  The "graying out" of the comboboxes is normal, CAT
needs to be disabled before any parametric changes are made and re-enabled
after the change.

You can monitor the communications between PowerSDR and whatever you have
connected on the serial ports using a freebie port monitor like Portmon.
This will verify that you indeed do or do not have serial communications.

Somebody mentioned that maybe a straight-thru cable is needed, and maybe a null-modem cable (pins2-3 reversed). Is anyone sure what is needed? Has anyone got one working that can put an ohmmeter from pin2 to pin2 and see if they are connected? Or if pin2 goes to pin 3???

73,

Bob K5KDN

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Dave Gomberg
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:48 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] FW: Tokyo HyPower

At 08:44 5/30/2009, Jim R wrote:
>Dave
>I'm doing it without DDUTIL on my 5000. The 3000 should be the same.
>Here's the e-mail I sent the other day with the details  explaining
>how.    Jim   K5HY
>
>----------
>From: rizzo...@hotmail.com
>To: n...@esedona.net; da...@wcf.com; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
>Subject: RE: [Flexradio] Tokyo HyPower
>Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 01:24:14 -0500
>All
>    I have the HL-1.5 KFX. It works directly with the flex 5000
> using my computer serial port connected to the Kenwood serial port
> on the THP amp. You have to set the Flex CAT control tab settings
> to 9600 8-N-1, check the "enable CAT" and "Allow Kenwood Al
> Command" checkboxes. COM 1 is the only choice shown and my computer
> serial port is set for COM 1. The band switching works fine this
> way without using DDUTIL. Of course you need a serial port on your
> computer which most machines do not have nowadays so you may need a
> USB to serial converter which are sometimes finicky.    Jim   K5HY

OK, I did the above, strangely when I checked "Enable CAT" all the
port speed, data bits and stop bits greyed out.   Is that normal????

Tried testing the tracking (THP set to Kenwood), change bands on
PowerSDR without transmitting, the THP did not light any band
light.   It did work in manual.   Here are my possible culprits:

1.  PowerSDR bug, explains greyed out choices
2. Wrong port used (my comp has 2).  I tried not to do this
3.  Bad cable (I have another but it is close to too short)
4.  Bad THP (I kind of doubt this unless it is a problem in the
Kenwood port, because manual works).

Any comments, clues or ???

Also, there is a caution in the THP literature that high power spikes
on the first part of a transmission can overload the finals,
shortening their life.   Anyone have any experience with this on Flex
radios???

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html