I agree with Ray on this.  I bought the Griffin before I bought my
first Flex (largely in anticipation of getting a radio to use with
it).  When I finally did get a Flex, I found my whole way of looking
at radio operating changed.  With a conventional radio you tune with a
knob in your hand and detect signals solely by ear.  With a flex, you
identify signals both with your ear and (even more so) with your eyes.
 So the days of continuously tuning up the band to get a feel how many
stations are on are largely gone.  You can see that without all the
tuning.  I tend to click on interesting portions of the spectrum with
my mouse and then then use the wheel on the mouse to tune around.  If
you use the Griffen, that requires that you move your hand back and
forth between the mouse to the Griffen.  It seems more awkward.

Having said that, it does make a wonderful volume control.  In
addition, the pulsing blue is really nice.  So if you are getting one
for free or cheap, don't just shelve it, try it in both applications
and see what you think.

John W2FS