Joe,

Here is a resend of an old thread.. Maybe this helps explain better than I can about the effects and reasons for roofing filters.

Dudley

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [Flexradio] Fw: [Elecraft] Comparison: K3 and SDR 5000A
Date:   Sun, 07 Oct 2007 08:41:29 -0600
From:   Rob Sherwood <r...@nc0b.com>
To: 'Richard Smith' <smit...@comcast.net>, FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz, Gerald Youngblood <ger...@flex-radio.com> References: <007201c80853$2d850820$680fa...@w1ezx2> <176601c8087d$e0fbc630$720fa...@toshibasatellite>

Here is a slight correction to Gerald's statement.
I don't publish IP3 numbers on my web site. When they appear in an expanded report, they are calculated from data taken at the noise floor.
It is a 3 dB peak in the RMS reading, not 1 dB that I use, like the ARRL did
for years.
As of the October FT-2000D review, the League dropped publishing dynamic range
numbers completely.
A footnote explains how to calculate dynamic range (DR3) from their data.
The League has muddled the water by now publishing data at the noise floor, S5
(now defined as -97 dBm) and at 0 (zero) dBm.
I consider the 0 dBm data meaningless.  Most radios will be in such a state of
overload, the IMD will be in the S9 +20 to S9 + 60 dB range, depending on the
test spacing (for an up conversion radio).

An e-mail relayed to me from the K3 reflector implies the DR3 numbers may
return in the future.  I am totally against publishing a 0 dBm measurement.  In
the case of the FT-2000D, a -69 dB DR3 at 2 kHz becomes a +15 dBm intercept.
This is either confusing at best, or misleading.  You decide.

73, Rob Sherwood, NC0B
"Gerald Youngblood" <ger...@flex-radio.com> 10/6/2007 7:03 pm >>>
There are both misconceptions and apples/oranges measurements here.  The IMD
DR3 numbers quoted by Elecraft are almost certainly measured using the ARRL
lab methodology (IP3 Measured at S5).  Using the ARRL S5 IP3 test methods,
we measure the FLEX-5000 at 100+ dB IMD DR3 at any spacing (including 100 Hz
or less). Those are top class numbers at any spacing.
Note that Sherwood uses a different measurement technique where IP3 is
measured at a 1 dB rise in the noise floor.  Sherwood measured the FLEX-5000
at 96 dB at any spacing using his methods.  Sherwood's website shows the
Elecraft K2 at 80 dB IMD DR3 at 2 kHz and 98 dB at 20 kHz.  There is no
independent measurement info on the K3.
By the way, I have tremendous respect for Elecraft.  This is only an effort
to clear up some misinformation.

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR