> Much of the hardware in the flex operates under the I2C
> protocol.

Critical stuff under the control of an I2C bus?  That surprises me.
I've always found the I2C bus (well, actually, almost always it's an
SMBBus) inside computers to VERY noisy and prone to mangled packets.
I've often seen multiple retries on the bus to get a single packet
through.  That's why inside a computer enclosure I22/SMBus is typically
limited to non-critical stuff like temperature, fan, and battery
sensors/controls.

Do you know how they handle this?  What speed do they run the I2C bus
at?  Are the internal cables they run twisted and shielded?  Or is the
I2C bus significantly less noise prone than the SMBus (they are
essentially the same bus, modulo a few details such as slightly
different logic levels -- the same 2-wire devices will work on either).

Curious...

Peter
K1PGV