I have been fighting RFI from my computer system at my rural QTH for two years.
 (4 logging PCs in the ham shack, 1 family PC, 1 file server and a Motorola
Canopy wireless Internet link with a 10 mile hop to my access point.)  The
spurs were quite annoying on 20 meters and up, all of which went away when I
killed the router and Ethernet switch.  There were four 100-foot runs to the
shack, a 75 foot run to the utility room for the file server, with the router
and switch in the family room.  Now I am using fibre optic cable to the shack,
the Fibre switch is at the server, and one fibre run goes to the family room.
The short RJ-45 cables in the family room are shielded CAT6, with the shield
connected on one end only.  The RFI is way down, but not 100% gone.  I will now
experiment with ferrite toroids on the RJ-45 to the Motorola receiver that is
mounted 45 feet up tower #1.  I don't know if it is worth getting rid of the
two 10 foot runs of RJ-45 in the family room between the switch, PC and
Ethernet HP laser printer.

Some attention may be required of the switching power supply wall warts, but I
think their radiation between 14 and 51 MHZ is minimal.

Moving everything to Fibre was not trivial, but all the NICs and the Fibre
switch were purchased on the used market.  I believe some of the multi-multi
contest stations use shielded CAT 5e or CAT6 to connect all the computers.  In
my case another reason for the switch to Fibre was EMP from lightning strikes.
Last summer a near-by strike a few 100 yards north of our home took out one
computer embedded NIC and the Dish Network DVR.  With hundreds of feet of RJ-45
running all over the place, it seemed wise to kill two birds with one stone.

73, Rob, NC0B

>>> Tim Ellison <telli...@itsco.com> 8/3/2009 8:24 PM >>>

See my comments below.

-Tim