This placing what amounts to putting a large capacitor across the output of
power supply seems to reflect poor DC filtering of the power supply unless I am
reading this wrong. That's mostly switcher power supplies where you run into
that and not the old standard linear types.

I run a fairly old ASTRON RS 35A which is heavy as heck with lots of Iron and
lots of HD caps in it, I've never seen evidence of  DC ripple on it, but maybe
I'm just not looking....

The old style heavy power supplies are not cheap, you can get more amps for
lower $$$ out of a switcher for sure, but from what I have seen you can't beat
linear power supply's for clean power.

Cheers