My IBM Thinkcentere in neither specialized nor custom.  It has a P4 
processor running at 3Ghz.  I am using 3 gig of ram and a cheap 50.00 video 
card.  It runs my logging program, wireless internet, Outlook Express, 
PowerSDR and any digital program that I choose and rarely do I see CPU load 
in excess of 35-40%.  I had my 3K on air and running within 30 minutes out 
of the box.  The idea that you need a $2000.00 superbox or a specialized 
computer to run a Flex is just not true.  Oh, by the way...the total cost of 
the IBM was less than 300.00 and that included shipping.

73,
Jim / K4ECP



----- Original Message ----- 
From: "AB2CD" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 3:40 PM
Subject: [Flexradio] Special computer


> You could be scaring away would be Flex purchasers with all this talk 
> about needing a specialized or custom designed computer to run a Flex.  I 
> feel  Flex would do well to get with Dell and spec out a machine that has 
> been tested by Flex and works.  I am sure Neal can put together an 
> outstanding optimized machine, but Neal Computer is not exactly a 
> household name.  Whereas Dell is and provides local customer support.  If 
> the Flex needs a custom designed computer in order to run properly, Flex 
> needs to tell people upfront.
>
> Again, the idea (whether it's true or false) that one needs a custom 
> computer to run a Flex is enough for some to come to the conclusion that 
> the Flex is an experimental radio for people who like to build their own 
> computers.
>
> Also, it may be worth Flex to consider building localized networks of Flex 
> operators who are able to assist those who need help in initially setting 
> up the radio.  For some (and that includes me), it was not exactly 
> plug-n-play.
>
> I love my Flex, but had I not had help setting it up it would have been 
> returned and a refund sought.  That would have been a double tragedy 
> because I would have missed out on the best radio on the market and Flex 
> would have lost a sale.
>
> For what it's worth.
>
> Jim AB2CD
> _______________________________________________
> FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
> [email protected]
> http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/  Homepage: 
> http://www.flex-radio.com/
> Message delivered to [email protected]
>
> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus 
> signature database 4323 (20090810) __________
>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
> 


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature 
database 4323 (20090810) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/
Message delivered to [email protected]

Reply via email to