I will relate a very frustrating but true story that makes me not go
the route of Dell/Gateway/Emachines/whatever.

I do contract work for local companies that need total support for
their network and all the devices on it. I had a customer with a
Gateway computer who's dvd drive stopped working. So, I take the model
number and go to Gateway to buy a replacement. Guess what, they
discontinued it 1 year after he bought it. Plus, they do not sell the
dvd drive.

So, I go on the internet to find a replacement drive. I ended up
buying 9 (thats nine) drives with the proper part number that was
supposedly the correct drive for the configuration. Ultimately, the
only way I could find one to work was to take the old one apart, find
the IC that was the drive controller chip and buy a drive with that
chip, then took apart the mechanism and placed it in the old drive
case that failed.

I bet there were 10 different "recipes" of bill of materials for that
Gateway laptop.

I am not bashing offshore manufacturing but if you have ever ordered a
dell or gateway from their website, you can see that even the model
numbers have submodel and subsubmodel numbers. Do each of these
subsubmodels have a different motherboard? In many cases yes. Do they
shift the recipe as time marches on to get the best profit out of each
unit? Of course they do. So as one part goes up and another goes down
in price, their JIT manufacturing processes take advantage.

You should read Michael Dell's management book, its a great book for
businessmen. But, the biggest metric he uses for the success of his
operation is what he calls Velocity. This is the speed of implementing
something new. For that desktop, if something changes (new chip,
different price break, etc.) how quickly can he go from decision to
change something until the first unit with that change is shipped to a
customer. His goalis in 2-4 days!

You just don't know whats under the hood when you buy these boxes
other than they are usually good deals and work well as a
family/general business computer.

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
www.abrohamnealsoftware.com