To: "Flexradio" <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] An updated FLEX Firewire driver is available

Tim,

I feel very dumb, but I don't fully understand what you are saying here.

"you CAN NOT upgrade 1.x.x.x based firmware with the new 3.5.0.7171 Firewire driver."

"Therefore, you should upgrade your radio's firmware to the latest
1.x.x.x version BEFORE installing the updated FLEX Firewire driver. "

That would seem to be contradictory!

Do you mean we must upgrade to firmware 2.x.x.x before installing 3.5.0.7171?

I'm using firmware 1.3.0.6 and driver 3.4.2.6200. (5000A, XP) What should I upgrade to and in what order?

George
W2AIV

From: "Tim (W4TME)" <t...@flex-radio.com>

To all FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000 users,

There is a new FLEX Firewire driver that is available for upgrade.

===[ Special Instructions ]==================================

 >>>PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAVEAT - IT IS VERY IMPORTANT <<<

With the release of the new FLEX Firewire driver, version 3.5.0.7171, we
are changing the way firmware is updated on your software defined radio.
  Previously, you executed a file that was known an "auto loader".  When
you executed this file, the firmware was placed on your PC's hard driver
and then a DOS or Command window was displayed instructing you through
the remainder of the firmware upgrade process.  Running this command
prompt based utility cause a few problems for some newer Windows
operating systems which is one of several reasons we are changing the
firmware upgrade method.  The new way of updating firmware is by using
an "applet" embedded in the FLEX Firewire control panel.

Because current FLEX-x000 firmware with a version number of 1.x.x.x was
created with an older version of the Firewire driver, you CAN NOT
upgrade 1.x.x.x based firmware with the new 3.5.0.7171 Firewire driver.

Therefore, you should upgrade your radio's firmware to the latest
1.x.x.x version BEFORE installing the updated FLEX Firewire driver.  If
you do not do this or need to revert to a earlier version of firmware
after loading the new driver, the firmware install process becomes a bit
more difficult due to the firmware binary and driver dependency that exists.

When PowerSDR v2.0.0 is released, it will require v2.x.x.x based
firmware that is 100% compatible with the new Firewire driver, so once
the updated version of PowerSDR is released this caveat will no longer
be applicable.

===[ New Features ] ==========================================

1.) The new FLEX Firewire driver, v3..5.0.7171 is fully compatible with
Win7, Vista and XP using either the 64 or 32-bit "flavors".  It is also
compatible with all released versions of PowerSDR.

2.) The new Firewire driver has feature that can check the compatibility
of your Firewire host controller (Firewire card) with the FLEX Firewire
driver.

With this version of the FLEX Firewire driver, you can run a control
panel applet that will check your Firewire card's chipset and tell you
if it is compatible with the FLEX Firewire driver. It will also inform
you of any missing service packs or Windows system driver configuration
problems. This new feature will take the guess work out of determining
if your Firewire card will work with the FLEX Firewire driver.

To access the new applet, once the driver is installed
1.) Open the Firewire control panel
2.) Click on the SYSTEM button at the top.
3.) Check the "Look Online for latest info" option
4.) Check the "Show Additional Details" option
5.) Click on the "Scan Now" button
6.) A description of the Firewire host controller's chipset(s) in your
system will be displayed indicating the support level and any
configuration error that my be present.

If your Firewire host controller's chipset is not fully supported, then
you should consider getting an adapter with a supported chipset.

====[ Upgrading your Firewire driver ]==========================

When upgrading your FLEX Firewire driver make sure you follow the
instruction very carefully in the following KB article.  The screen
displays shown in this article will be a little different because of the
version change, but the process is still the same.  It is recommended
that you power off your FLEX-x000 SDR and remove the existing driver and
reboot your PC before installing the new driver.
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50137.aspx

 >>> PLEASE REVIEW THE AFOREMENTIONED KB ARTICLE BEFORE PROCEEDING. <<<

You can download the new firmware using the following URL
http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=306

-Tim
--
W4TME
FlexRadio Systems - Info Management Admin.