To: "FlexRadio" <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Flex 5000a RX below 550 Khz

Bob, like Dudley mentions, you'll need a low pass filter that cuts off at 400-500 KHz. In fact, I run two in series to keep all the broadcast junk out.

Every radio I've even owned that tuned below 500 KHz worked the same...all kinds of BCB "junk" unless you add a filter, including my Drake R8, Drake TR7, and Yaesu FT-847.

Right now I'm running a short 36" active antenna for LF into my SDR-1000 (with of course the low pass filters in line). From Colorado in the winter I have copied non-directional beacons from South and Central America, Greenland, and the South Pacific. I've also copied several 1 watt Lowfer experimental stations in the 170-190 KHz range from across the USA.

The panadapter is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL for spotting extremely weak LF and VLF CW signals! And my SDR with low pass filters is by far the finest receiver I've ever owned for LF and VLF!

73,
Jerry Sharp, KD0GS

Dudley Hurry wrote:
Bob,

You will need a low pass filter of the range you are planning to use. Many have report good results with a 500 khz cutoff low pass or you can build your own..
73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

Robert delaney wrote:
I seem to have nothing but images of the AM broadcast band on my 5000A when looking for non directional airport beacons between 150 and 500 Khz. Has anyone else noticed this image issue? I understand that the radios specs are for the ham band but I thought it would at least RX down there.

Thanks, 73
Bob
KA9UVY