On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Lazy Senior <lazysen...@verizon.net> wrote:

> 2. Flex advertises their Flex 5000 ATU to work with a 10:1 SWR. This is
> false advertising as the Flex ATU struggles with 2:1 SWRs. 10:1 SWR would be
> a wet noodle antenna.

It actually *will* match a 10:1 mismatch. Try connecting a 500Ω or a
5Ω load and it will match it. But that is not the real story. A
"tuner" actually does two things:

1. "tunes out" (cancels) whatever reactance is present;

2. provides an impedance transformation from whatever is at the input
to 50 ohms.

For most tuners, the available reactive and resistive ranges are
interdependent. The more reactive the antenna, the more limited the
tuner is in matching the resistive component. It would be much better
if tuners were spec'd by the reactance and resistance ranges that they
will tune. Sounds like something the ARRL might do in their labs.

As for tuning a "wet noodle," an end-fed 1/2 wave antenna has an
impedance of about 8000Ω or an SWR of about 160:1. There are precious
few tuners that can handle that mismatch. That might actually be worse
than a "wet noodle." :-)

> 3. On bands like 75, 15, and 10 mtrs, an antenna will not have a low SWR
> over the whole band. An internal antenna will "help" the radio work the
> whole band.

It depends on the 'Q' of the antenna. It is common to increase the
bandwidth of a monopole by increasing its diameter or by switching to
a folded monopole so that a tuner isn't required over the whole band.

> 5. Every internal tuner I have had in a radio works on 3:1 SWRs. My last
> radio, the Icom Pro III worked perfectly with my antennas. The Flex ATU does
> not. I do not expect the Flex ATU to load up a wet noodle. I DO expect it to
> work as well as other internal tuners.

Well, Gerald did say they were aware of the limitations and that they
are improving the code. So far, other than the time it takes to get
things done, Flex has been very good about keeping its promises.

Getting back to my original comment about comparing tuners, it would
be nice to know what the inductance and capacitance ranges are so that
it can be compared to other tuners. If you look at the block diagram
you will see that it is an 'L' network but that the shunt capacitance
can be switched to either side of the series inductance. Knowing the
minimum and maximum inductance and capacitance will tell you what the
matching range is.

--
73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL