I think that one often forgets that "the computer is the radio" or that most of the radio is the program that resides inside the computer and normally the computer is what gets upset. Most computers sold today are not RFI resistant, the manufacturer test them to comply with FCC (or the equivalent agency) for radiated or conducted RFI _leaving_ the computer, but I'm sure they are not tested for accepting strong RF fields. The computers that all of us have are commodity items, surely the military buy some RF hardened (or not, who knows in this time of COTS equipment) but a garden variety computer with all its peripheral leads is prone to suffer from even moderate RF fields in its environment (didn't you ear the cellular noises?). So you can buy a one that happens to be it is hardened or harden it yourself with ferrites et all.

When the computer is inside the radio, we are talking about another story.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL

Richard M. Emerson wrote:
I have been monitoring the Flex reflectors for more than a year now and
discovered that almost 80% of the issues deal with RF getting into the system.
This was also my own experience with my 5000A.  It took me more than a  year to
diagnose and tame the RF demons interfering with the Flex, in a shack that runs
four other radios without RF problems.   Are you listening Flex?  You need to
address the issue of Flex RF vulnerability.  New users should not have to be RF
engineers to set up and use their radios.  And PLEASE don't give me that old
saw about an inadequate ground in the shack, because my shack was grounded to a
far-thee-well and I still had problems because the Flex was so sensitive to the
issue.

Regards,

Dick  (KE7XU)