Not everyone can use a mouse with the same precision; consider those with
poorer eyesight or rheumatism in their hands.

Tracking someone on a satellite for (say) 60 seconds while they drift in
frequency (CW or SSB modes) would be much easier with a knob than a mouse -
at least it would for me.

I am always looking at alternate input devices but am sure that a knob like
the Yaesu FT-950's with a few surrounding buttons with be an excellent
asset. Sadly Yaesu make these in-house (or so I am informed) so they are not
freely available.

FWIW I have an ACER 230H touch-screen monitor here, I want to find time to
experiment with touch screen, I'm sure precision tuning can be accomplished
using the new Windows 7 API's.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV
http://sdr-radio.com