On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Neal Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> 1. Its easy and free to use a virtual comm port signal > 2. Most of the programs were from a time when using cat for turning radios > on and off wasn't common so they are built with comm ports in mind > 3. It has to be faster as its just raising voltage on a signal instead of > queuing data thru a FIFO to a program to turn it on and off. Hence its more > responsive to what your commands are. > > I honestly can't think of a good reason to use cat when its this easy! Some programs just require a separate port for PTT. I use both. I use CAT when it works because that is just one less thing to configure. Transfer and decoding latency for using CAT for PTT is so small (in most cases) that it is a moot point. But some programs just work better using a separate port. I use separate port PTT via DTR with WSPR. It is the only way I have gotten it to work properly. -- 73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL _______________________________________________ FlexRadio Systems Mailing List [email protected] http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/ Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/

