Graeme,

Sorry to hear of the issue..     How does it work into a dummy load?   If it
works ok into a dummy load,  RF may be upsetting the computer.   You can
start to isolate by having ferrite clamp on bead on the FireWire cable
closest to the computer,  but RF can be induced through any cable connected
to the computer, including the video,  USB,  AC line,  etc.   Also the
computer should be grounded to the station RF ground as well as the radio
and powersupply.

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ