Dave,

Just FYI, When I multiply an oscillator to 10GHz, this problem is
significantly exacerbated.  When I used a crystal oscillator in my rig I
could literally blow on the metal box (10GHz rig) while listening to a tone
and hear the radio wander off frequency.  5Hz of wander at 10MHz = 5kHz at
10GHz so you hear signals exit the passband of the radio as the temp
changes!

>From the research I did, I found that the typical specs on TCXOs tend to be
very conservative -- what typically happens is that they are more stable in
the center of the temp range (less df/dT) than on the ends of it.  Locking
your LO to a 10MHz reference locked to GPS, Rubidium, etc. fixes this
problem.

Steve

Stephen Hicks, N5AC, AAR6AM
VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
13091 Pond Springs Road, #250
Austin, TX 78729
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email: st...@flex-radio.com
Web: www.flex-radio.com

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems