Hi all,

I'm interested in doing some ionospheric research.

Has anyone tried to use an external high-precision 10 MHz oscillator with a Flex-1500?

I own and use a Flex-3000 right now. The F3K has an internal TCXO that is pretty good for most things, but it exhibits an irregular sawtooth variation in frequency over a period of about 45 minutes with a p-p amplitude of around 2-4 Hz. And that is almost as large as the kind of ionospheric doppler variations that I'm seeing on WWV.

What I wonder about using an external reference with the F1.5K is whether or not it locks tightly to the reference -- i.e., shows no apparent variations beyond the reference drift (about 0.5 mHz for GPSDO Rubidium) -- or whether in fact an internal PLL inside the F1.5K will show the same kind of sawtooth wandering around the nominal reference frequency.

In other words, is the sawtooth frequency variation due to the TCXO? or to the PLL used for DDO carrier generation?

- de Dave, N7AIG

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory