Brian,

I found the Fldigi system interesting... and at first you had me thinking someone had found a way around the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, in terms of making rapid measurements of fine frequency differences...

So I did some research on Fldigi, tried it out, and looked up AFC algorithms on Google... I found this really interesting survey article, with some real meat in it (not for the faint of heart):

http://engnet.anu.edu.au/DEcourses/engn3214/notes/FDNatali.pdf

At any rate, in there you find the DFT variant (discrete Fourier Transform) which Fldigi may, or may not, be using. At any rate, I'm right at home with FFT's and I could readily see that there is no speedup by using a tracking filter. It takes the same amount of time to approximate fine frequency deviations, no matter how you do it.

That is very reassuring to me, having spent much of my career trying desperately to estimate things like precession periods of incoming nuclear warheads, (which are around 100 mHz), based on only a few seconds of observations...

But what is great about Fldigi, compared to SpectrumLab, is that the tracking filter approach performs a kind of continuous averaging for you, in displaying the estimated tracked frequency.

However, I tried using SpectrumLab last night, where I produced a strip-chart of the estimated FFT frequencies. SL uses FFT bin interpolation, on the assumption that (a) SNR is good and high, (b) no nearby interfering signals, and (c) they know the shape of the windowing function. It is a fancier form of DFT AFC than described in the paper (above). There is a huge advantage to having a strip chart recording because, instead of trying to estimate changing trends by eyeballing individual measurements as they come flying past, you can actually see the p-p frequency deviations and the chatter on top of the longer term cyclic trends.

Fldigi seems to use hard-coded loop bandwidths and capture ranges. 2 Hz capture range, 5 sec integration time. Good, but I would sure like to be able to tweak those myself. SpectrumLab also has its limitations in that there aren't sufficient computational capabilities built into its tiny analysis programming language.

(Oh, how I dream of just doing it all myself in Lisp, with Lisp fully present all the time... that way you can make up ad-hoc measurements that would never have been thought of until you need them. Closed systems can't possibly anticipate every need. I'm getting dangerously close to rolling up my sleeves and just doing it. If I do, then I'll share with everyone too...)

- de Dave, N7AIG

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory