Hi Mark:

FWIW, I use my 3000 exclusively remotely since I can't deploy antennas at the home condo. You're quite right that the panadaptor and other data rich display modes can be a real bandwidth hog.

As a benchmark, using VNC for remote desktop access, the panadaptor eats up ~200-300kbps of outbound network bandwidth all the time, (PSDR display refresh at 30fps). I prefer to use Radmin at home, which provides a very nice looking display but at the cost of even more bandwidth, up to 1mbps depending on the refresh rate. You can slow down the refresh rate and reduce the bandwidth, but you pay for it with a jerky display.

You might try the NetPerSec utility on your machine to monitor the bps network data flow in real time in and out so you can gauge how things move around when working remotely. Can be a real eye opener.

I'm fortunate in that my radio is located at the end of some bonded T's at the office with lots of guaranteed outbound bandwidth and almost no other traffic on it at night & weekends, so it's not a problem for me while operating from home.

When I'm traveling with my laptop I usually use VNC and Skype, for a typical total incoming bandwidth of ~300kbps. Most hotel web service seems to handle this ok, but in some bad places where audio breakup occurs I'll disable the panadaptor display and 'rough it' with just the S meter and freq display.

No need for HRD to control the radio unless it does something else you want.

Gary
W3AM

Mark Lunday wrote:

Trying to run SDR and view the panadapter over the internet is quickly
becoming a non-starter.  Very graphics intensive.

So, how are folks out there controlling their Flex 3000 radios?  Ham Radio
Deluxe?  But it then becomes just another remote controlled legacy HF rig,
right?  How do I control the filters, etc?

Or am I missing something simple?