Cut a length of wire (any kind, it doesn't matter) to the half wave length for the band you wish to operate, and stretch it out on the floor, zigzag if necessary.
Attach one end to the ground screw on the rig.

This was another of the tricks my Elmer suggested for my 2nd floor shack, right under the antenna mounted on the roof.

On 10/31/2010 9:48 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:
Laptops are problematic in this regard.  You can try to use the screw posts on
one of the back connectors, like the video connector.  Or use a lot of split or
solid core ferrite beads on the Firewire cable to start with.

Jim's advice is very good too.  Removing the common mode RF currents from the
antenna coax shield using a choke balun before they get back to the radio
hardware is the best way eliminate RFI problems.

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Magnuson [mailto:r...@resultsdirect.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:16 AM
To: Tim Ellison; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: Flex-3000 freezing up on transmit

Tim, I am using a notebook computer so a more formal ground technique eludes me
(short of drilling holes into it in order to connect to its internal ground
plan...). I'm not sure it even has a grounded metal shell type connector on it
that I could connect to. So any advice you have would be appreciated. I am
assuming that currently my best path to the Flex-3000 ground is through the
shield in the firewire cable.
- Russ, KFiK