On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Jack Haverty <j...@3kitty.org> wrote:

> {Assuming the 1500 and 3000 architectures are similar except for
> Firewire vs USB)
>
> I've never really understood why the mike and speaker/headphones plug in
> to the Flex rather than the PC.  Of course, if your PC lacks any audio
> interfaces, it wouldn't be possible, but most PCs have at least on-board
> audio these days, which is good enough for Skype-ing, watching movies,
> etc.
>
> The PC is where all of the audio is processed anyway, with EQ etc., so
> it has to go through there.  Seems like the most efficient configuration
> would be to plug audio devices in to the PC.  There would be a
> difference in quality, depending on which box's ADC and DAC were better.

It turns out the reason is really very subtle. You want to make sure that
all your A:D and D:A (CODECs) use exactly the same clock. Many sound cards
have their own clock generator that is anything but accurate. By taking
control of the A:D and D:A process in the hardware they can ensure that they
are using the same clock (no clock slip), minimize ground loops, reduce
noise, etc. It is definitely a feature.

Tim answered the rest of your questions as well or better than I can so I
will shut up now.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.