Tim, Brian,

The light is now burning bright.  Thanks for the explanations.

I'm not a Windows guy.  So when I set up the Flex and its software
minions (HRD, N1MM, etc), I dove into the morass of Windows control
panels, sliders, check boxes, preferences windows, and lots of jargon,
with a dash of VAC as well, and kept trying different settings until it
worked.  The KB articles helped a lot.

That was 18 months ago.  Ever since then, I've been pretty much
unwilling to touch it for fear of breaking something.

But, I just summoned up the courage and did a little playing around -
found an old PC mike that came for free with some soundcard, plugged it
in, and now when I talk into it the F3K transmits SSB!  Cool.  I have to
make up an adapter for my Heil headset and see how that works.

I understand that the Flex A/D converters are excellent.  But PC ones
must be usable too, since they do the work when remoting a station, with
lower audio quality of course.

I don't have a Flex-1500, so I can't check this.  But if a Flex-1500
user really wants VOX, can't they get that now if they use a mike
plugged in to their PC rather than the Flex like I just tried with my
F3K?  Or is that function somehow disabled when using a Flex-1500?

It seems to me that the Flex-1500 does support VOX today, although in
certain limited configurations.  It seems to me that customers might
prefer to have a less-than-excellent VOX than none at all.

73,
/Jack