David,

Let me confirm what Neal is saying,   the 3000/5000 series requires a 400
mbit ,   or 1394a  FireWire port.   There has been some question as just how
compatible the 800 mbit cards really are.   Most seem to have the best luck
with sticking to the 400 mbit cards,  on the other hand,  the iMacs with the
800 mbit, TI chipset seem to work fine,  but you will need an adapter to go
from the 9 pin,  800 mbit to the 6 pin 400 mbit connector on the rear of
either radio..

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ