Tim,

I did some more looking and tried the tune on other bands. All the bands, from 6 to 160 tune the first time, and to low SWR, except suddenly 80 m fails most of the time.

I am perplexed as to what changed.

Gary

On 12/19/2010 5:59 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

See my comments below.

-Tim

*From:*Gary Warner [mailto:garyw...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:20 PM
*To:* Tim Ellison
*Cc:* FlexRadio reflector
*Subject:* Re: [Flexradio] Automatic Tune

Tim,

Comments below in maroon.

Gary

On 12/19/2010 2:26 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

What is the value of a successful tune in the ATU form?  The default is 2.1:1
so 2.0:1 would be a successful tune.

It is set for 2.1. I set the target lower to 1.1, since I was getting really good tunes and wanted to go for even better- got a number of tunes at 1.1 and even 1.0, and still do occasionally, but it usually takes many attempts to get any result lower than the 2.1 result. I get the "Tune failed" more often than not, and an indication that the SWR >10.0:1.

*/[Tim] Setting the target low will take the ATU a longer time to try and find a better match. It will also slightly increase the probability of getting a Tune Failed too./*

What the ATU will match is based on the complex impedance presented to it and not a particular SWR value. If you are suddenly having problems, then I would first look at your antenna system; coax connectors, have you been having wet WX and freezing temps that can play havoc on connectors, etc..

Yes, we have been having a lot of wind and rain, but the antenna is a horizontal dipole with a long ladder line. The ladder line terminates under the eave of my roof and gets no rain, and the connection is well taped and secure. How would a balun act if it were a problem?

*/[Tim] The SWR could rise if the inside balun gets too wet. I have one on a 20m dipole that is 1.3:1 dry and will present a 2.0:1 if we get a hard rain. That one is exposed to the WX directly. I am just too darn lazy to drag it out of the trees to fix it and the ATU does a good job of matching it, so I am not too worried about the transmitter. The ATU will do nothing for the losses, so it really doesn't matter if it is 1.3:1 or 2.0:1/*

If all that is good, then there is a possible chance that the SWR bridge is out of calibration or there could be a hardware problem (blown diode). To test this, you can connect a dummy load and see what SWR value the ATU reads it as, which should be 1.0:1. If you have more than one dummy load, you can connect the together in parallel and see if you get a 2.0:1 SWR and it should tune it to 1.0:1.

There does not appear to be anything wrong with the radio, as I neglected to mention that I can tune a vertical antenna every time at well less than 1.5:1. The vertical shows intermediate results during the tune that rarely exceed 2.0:1, but the horizontal will show results all over the place during the cycle and sometimes in excess of 300:1. If something is broken, however, why does it still sometimes still tune successfully?

*/[Tim] It depends on the complex impedance that the ATU is being presented from that particular antenna system. If it is at the edge of what the ATU will match, you can get the "hit and miss" behavior that you are seeing./*

*//*

If you think it is a hardware problem you should Contact Dudley and have him triage the issue. -Tim -----Original Message-----