Al Capone was known to remove noise with a similar technique.

<Response> Two winters ago I had some noise that only occured on very cold nights. I suspected a bad power transformer atop a pole. The problem was how to identify the pole it was on. I'd like to share the two tricks I used. You'll need a baseball bat.

I went down the block listening with an AM radio. When the noise increased I whacked each pole with the baseball bat. When I hit the 3rd pole the noise immediately changed. The vibration caused the pole to vibrate which transfered into the transformer. A crude microphone! I also noticed a "red light" atop the transformer which I later learned was an "over-temp" indicator. When I called the local power company they agreed to check it. Two days later, no more noise! I received a call from one of their engineers who was amazed to hear how I found it. He commented that they had a $10K instrument for doing what I did with a baseball bat and an AM radio!