To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Finding Noise

I work for a large electric utility as an interference investigator. I make
my living finding all sorts of powerline-based and non-powerline based
interference sources. This is the Flex Radio reflector and not an
interference location list so I will try to be brief.

I realize that my comment here won't stop the practice of whacking, kicking, bumping or tampering with utility equipment but I am compelled to say this:

Don't tamper with utility equipment. Resist the urge to take baseball bats,
sledgehammers, etc to any utility pole. It's both dangerous and illegal.

You do not have the right to do anything to a utility pole. How would you
feel if I, as the utility's interference investigator, came to your house
and whacked your tower with a sledgehammer? I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate
that nor is it legal for me to do so.

It's dangerous because one good whack could jar something loose and hit you
or, worse, injure you. I work with line crews quite frequently to correct
problems that cause interference. There is only one circumstance where a
hammer is used on a pole. Staples are hammered in to secure the bond
(ground) wire that runs down most poles to ground rods buried under the
pole. When line crew members hammer a pole they do so only after verifying
that nothing will fall on them.  Hydraulic tools are used to tighten nuts
but again only when it is deemed safe to do so.

In my experience, whacking a pole rarely produces any useful result. Real
direction finding yields the fastest results. Transformers are rare
offenders (at least in my area.) Loose hardware, faulty lightning arrestors
and broken bond (ground) wires are the most frequent offenders. When the
interference can be heard at VHF frequencies, the source is usually easy to
locate. When the source can't be heard above 7 or 8 MHz, it becomes more
challenging and often indicates a faulty transformer. Still none of my
direction finding techniques include kicking, whacking or jarring
equipment.at least not without a hard hat and a qualified eye.

Seek the assistance of the utility. Try to work with them to DF the source.
Leave the whacking, shaking, tinkering and other physical effort to
qualified line crews trained in doing such work safely. If the utility is
unresponsive or too sluggish in resolving your issue, contact your state
regulatory agency to "motivate" them to focus their efforts more
effectively.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T

Utility Interference Investigator

Florida USA