Brian,

Let the left-over New Year's cheer let me get REALLY technical for a moment.

Theoretically, you are correct in stating that FSK & AFSK are identical.  I
have made this same point myself on many occasions.

However, in real-world situations, they are not identical -- they can be
distinguished from each other.

Since we are using an imperfect SSB transmitter to generate the AFSK, there
is some residual carrier & opposite sideband being transmitted along with
the desired signal.  If operating at full legal limit (1500W), 60dB of
carrier or opposite sideband suppression still results in 1.5W of carrier or
opposite sideband being transmitted -- definitely capable of being detected
at some distance from the transmitter.

A similar situation exists for CW or MCW.  Which does PowerSDR
generate?......

Happy New Year to one and all!

73, Ray, K9DUR
http://k9dur.info