But seriously, monitoring the VU is an essential item versus something that is a really cool idea. In the mean time I need to find a workable solution on a near zero budget as I over spent my budget getting the fully loaded FLEX-5000.

Luckily my wife much prefers operating the Flex than operating any of my other radios with "those stupid dials". This made over spending our budget moving from the SDR-1000 to a fully loaded FLEX-5000 an easy sale. Being an accountant, she is noticing me tricking in added items and I'm fearful the cost of a Wavenode would push the envelope to much. Heck she whats to use FLEX-5000 portable (big tower, 2 large monitors...etc. and use the IC-7000 as back up). I think this might be her ploy in moving from 2-man backpacking tents to a trailer!

Dan

On 1/31/2011 6:32 AM, Robert Costa wrote:
Dan,
Funny you should mention the Wavenode/Flex connection.
About 2 years ago, I was working with Alan in the Wavenode booth at Pacificon. The Flex booth was the next booth. I saw that the Wavenode WN2 and the Flex would be a perfect marriage. Alan spoke to the Flex people, but I have not heard that anything came from that discussion. I would love to see the wavenode PCB added to the flex. Then I would like to see the wavenode software functionality added to PSDR It would add so much more functionality to the flex.
73
Robert

*From:* Dan Scott <dscott1...@comcast.net>
*To:* flexradio@flex-radio.biz
*Sent:* Sun, January 30, 2011 11:26:20 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Flexradio] V/U on F5K option question

Tim,

Assuming you do not already have one of these units, either one would
put the cost of the ownership for the VU to over $1700. (considering
hidden cost of ownership).

That being said, I really like the VU so far.  So farm I have only been
able to use it SSB (I still need to get the Keyer connected to the
5000).  Reception audio quality of SSB is so nice compared to my other
2-meter SSB radios too. I wish PowerSDR 2.1 would hurry up and get here!

The primary down side is operating a very expensive add-on while
completely blind to the transmission system's performance (or any sudden
problem that may occur).
The Wavenode looks nice.  In the wishful thinking category:  It would be
nice if Flex could arrange a deep discount on these for the VU owners! :-)

Dan

--
---
Hope to see you at Megafest