I loaned out my Flex 1500 along with a 222 transverter to a friend who wanted to experiment with the set up at his home for a few days. He called me and said that he couldn't get the unit to work, and asked if I would take a look. I went over after work expecting to find the usual assortment of software related issues.

Instead, when I was looking over his connections, I happened to touch the USB connector on the front of the unit. It was hot to the touch, and I immediately realized something was amiss. We unplugged everything, and that's when I spotted his error. I had provided a small switching 13 volt power supply equipped with Anderson PowerPoles. He was unfamiliar with them, and didn't realize that they were reversed in alignment. When he couldn’t get red to mate with red (physically) he instead mated red to black. The result was that he applied reverse polarity to the Flex 1500 for quite some time.

The unit now refuses to power up (no power indication on the front panel LED switch) and otherwise function.

So, how screwed am I? And no, this isn't one of those "I have a friend" stories, when the friend is me. Callsigns have simply been changed to protect the innocent.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park