Most of the magic happens in the computer. So you get a lot independent of
the radio box you are using. The 1500 is really small but only 5 watts. The
5000 can have a lot of options added to it. The 3000 has 100 watts and a
built in tuner. All of these radios will get better as the PowerSDR software
evolves. 

 

Originally I didn't understand software defined radios. The original New
Jersey QRP club's softrock kit opened my eyes. WOW! I then got the SDR 1000.
Next a 1500 for camping. I've really not played with it enough camping. I've
added a Flex 3000 to my primary station. 

 

I do also have the K rigs except for the 3 model. I can understand those
that prefer the K line. 

 

I suspect many hams, particularly those that started out with a general
coverage receiver and Heath AT-1 transmitter, will find both Flex and K
radio just amazing. Only those with very specialized interests will find one
clearly superior to the the other. 

73/72 Mike WA8BXN 

 

 

 

 

 

-------Original Message------- 

 

From: Michael Tondee 

Date: 4/16/2011 11:20:54 PM 

To: [email protected] 

Subject: [Flexradio] My 1500 amazes me! 

 

Been sitting here today and tonight tuning around the 20 meter band and 

Just having a blast with this little radio. I didn't own my Flex 5K that 

Long so maybe I didn't get the full experience of using it but I swear 

When I look at my monitor and see the PowerSDR display and divert my 

Attention from the little black and silver box, I don't really know that 

it's not still my 5K sitting over at the corner of the op desk. I know 

The 5K is a better receiver and maybe my memory is getting foggy but 

it's really hard for me to tell that much difference. And I can't 

Imagine ever operating a radio again without a panadapter! There is a 

Certain competitor out there that has added a panadapter as an 

Afterthought and I see there ads all the time and think to myself what a 

Joke that thing is compared to my little Flex. 

After I first bought the 1500, I wondered if I'd made a mistake by not 

Buying a more powerful radio. I've never been much of a QRP enthusiast 

And I'm so rusty at CW that my copy skills are really bad. I thought 

That maybe I should have bought a 100 watt radio to operate phone with 

And to be honest I've been reluctant to even try calling people with my 

Measly little 5 watts. I had been content to do a lot of listening and 

Have a few digital contacts since getting the 1500 a couple of months 

Ago but today there's a couple of QSO parties going on and I decided to 

Answer a few CQ's and so far, so good. Been getting guys on the first 

Call so conditions must be good and my pre MFJ Cushcraft MA-5 mini beam 

Seems to be doing the job. 

I just love the receiver on this radio. I've been listening for hours 

Today and it doesn't fatigue me at all like other radios I've owned in 

The past that were in it's price class. 

Anyhow, I know the purpose of the reflector is to help people but with 

All the problems and criticisms that I read about, I thought I'd just 

Drop in a quick post to let you guys know how much I'm enjoying my 1500. 

73, 

Michael, W4HIJ 

 

 

_______________________________________________ 

FlexRadio Systems Mailing List 

[email protected] 

http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz 

Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ 

Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/


 

_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to