I second (or third or umpteenth) the motion.  Once one becomes accustomed to
the panadapter--or, in my case, the panafall--everything else seems
so...yesterday.

Even other implementations are seldom anywhere near as good.  The K3 is a
very fine radio but its little add-on panadapter is a sad joke compared to
PSDR.  My WinRadio Excalibur (I was a DX SWL long before I got my license)
has a nice spectrum display but its tuning implementation pales in
comparison to the Flex, making it a constant minor annoyance.

My SWL buddies will say, "but when you're trying to hear a broadcast
station, you know exactly where to listen so what's the advantage of the
panadapter?"  To which I reply with a modest, shy (yeah, right) smile, "Try
it."

I fire up my FT-950 once in a while, sort of like starting the emergency
generator once a month just so ya knows it works, and going back to tuning
by ear, even on that nice radio, takes an awful lot of the fun out of the
bands.

73
Bill



On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Peter G. Viscarola <[email protected]>wrote:

> >I can't imagine ever operating a radio again without a panadapter!
>
> and
>
> >once you go Flex its hard to go back to the old knob
>
> +1.
>
> True story:
>
> I sat down in front of a Yaesu FT DX 5000MP at my local HRO just a few days
> ago.  There was an Italian station calling CQ NA slightly off frequency.
>  Without really thinking, I tried to tune him in... but I found myself
> looking at the little (SM-500) station monitor perched atop the radio and
> trying to tune his signal by sight!
>
> I quite literally had to stop myself and think "OK, this is a radio without
> a panadapter... I need to tune this guy by EAR not by EYE."  It was
> disconcerting.  Really!
>
> I know it's nuts, but that's how reliant I've become on (and found I've
> become of) the panadapter.  Even when searching by ear for a weak station,
> when I find a signal, I find myself zooming the panadapter in and trying to
> peak him visually... shifting the bandpass around noise and trying to
> exactly capture the signal.
>
> Peter
> K1PGV
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
> [email protected]
> http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage:
> http://www.flexradio.com/
>
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to