From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of iw1ayd
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 3:05 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] MMTTY vs FLDIGI

Hello to all.
With the biggest respect to the experiences and the personal opinion of
everybody I would suggest to use MMTTY. Its internal filters are far superior
to the those inside FLDIGI. That's all, IMHO. All but not enough for sure. Just
to say more about my personal experiences and views I would try to write here
some more deeply about my RTTY activities.

Just for QSO or exotics modes DM780 and FLDIGi may have some attractions, but
no way if you want to do something of relevant in RTTY.  For relevant I mean
not only some RTTY QSO, but also extenuating RTTY pile ups and, why not, those
roaming RTTY contests.

The combo N1MM+MTTY is unbeatable, even AFSK: filters and great automation,
Filters by MMTTY and automation by N1MM. {(ALT-F7 +1) it's a wonderful, even if
manual, SPLIT command when you listen '1 UP'}

The Logger side of HRD is also useful to maintain  and to give relief for the
LoTW and eQSL management. Load it exporting from N1MM to have electronic QSL
submission and checks.

First of all remember to have a TX filter defined in POWERSDR(tm) for any mode
you will use, just not to spread too much signal out of the needed hundreds
Hertz pass band. Then have some macros, thanks FLEX for a very well declined
CAT commands set, useful to change filters, set offsets and so on.
For POWERSDR(tm) remember to place some offset values, those right pse, so when
you will spot anybody the spot would be on the right QRG. This will be also
useful to have point and click tuning fully automated well inside the TX filter
bandwidth.

Than you will have a single logger well suited for several radios just changing
the macro set for each one, the same environment to drive in the same way with
any vehicle you have. I already done this for a PROIII, a 7600, a 7700, a
FT-950 and my love a FLEX 3000. All the radio
have filters and more driven by the   computer. The logger is the focus,
in QSO, in the pile up and in contest.  Well the 3000 with its panadapter
does't need large MF filters out of the 250/200 Hz one, you will see the anyway
any potential correspondent in the pan-adapter: just point and click to have
inside the MMTTY waterfall also. BTW this will work for any audio/CAT
interface, from the home made one, to the MicroHam and even to the ICOM USB
(AFSK only, sigh!).

N1MM is the only logger that I know that have 24 user definable macros out of
the QSO input windows with it's own macros.
The trick is to learn a logger, N1MM, doing normal activity to become really
acquainted to it for any contest. How to learn a logger, easy:
have it in everyday usage. How you could use a tricky logger for the everyday
use, more easy: having one of this beasts that looks friendly and not a 3270
dumb terminal.

Take care to have MMTTY 1.68A and it's profiling file for filters and decode
choices. Some are to be modifies, as to get rid of NET or ATC or AFC, be
advised. Be advised also that some combined effects of the MMTTY AF filters may
seems to be way too much tied to be useful. Time and learning will help to use
and judge.

DM780 was my first choice, but I switched to MMTTY to have FSK, N1MM was a must
doing my small contest activity. But it's also the main choice, together with
FLEX, for IQ1RY RTTY 24H contests and we win something last years. Thanks to
all on bands and there. I think it's a good point.
The radio macro set was the same, the radio changed, but nobody cared about ...
well ... almost: HI! The first operator, IK1HXN, never used a FLEX before: his
first run in a 24h contest went to a win.  As the N1MM and macro commands was
well know by him. With the FLEX it went more easy and effortless for the 2010
DL-DX than for the 2010 Volta, that was played with a traditional radio!

There will be much more to explain in between those points to glue all together
and to make a full blown working picture, but it would be too much here and I
don't want to stole more space. A usual, I hope that my language was clear
enough to be readable.

                              73 de iw1ayd Salvo