Hi, Larry, (and all),

The days of spending lots of money for a microphone for technical reasons
are over. You can get a GREAT microphone (studio quality) for around $120,
such as the Audio Technica AT-2035, but why would you for
communications where high and low frequencies are rolled off as a matter of
design?

You simply need a microphone with level dynamic range in the voice
frequencies, which is almost everything.

If you really must, get yourself something beautiful and shiny like the
TenTec microphones or buy something OEMed for amateur use like Heil. These
are the type microphones you'll find on the dealer's tables at Dayton.
Amateur radio makes up a tiny segment of the audio microphone market.

Does it make sense that the best microphones are targeted at the amateur
radio market? Of course not!

But you get more for your money buying audio gear and using adapters. This
is simply an observation about the marketplace and economies of scale, not
commentary on those fine people trying to earn a living by selling to this
niche market or their products.

I use a Yamaha CM500.  < $50, and I won't worry the next time I crunch them
in a desk drawer. I'll use my spare set.

My melodious voice sounds terrific - I got mine after seeing an on-air FM
Radio broadcast remote at a local business - they were using the CM500 and
it sounded great.

Most of the "big" on-air studios are using direct digital microphones -
Ethernet to a network on the mic itself. I suppose that if you used VAC, you
could do that, too!

Mickey N4MB

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Larry Otto <w...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I will be heading down to Dayton next month, and one of the top items on my
> shopping list is
> a good quality microphone for my F5K.
>
> Where better to get some ideas than here?
>
> From top to bottom, what do you guys use, what do you recommend?
>
> Tnx
>
> 73
> W8LO
> Larry

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.