On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Michael Tondee <mat...@netcommander.com>wrote:

> So here's a thought I had today. I have a perfectly good 12 volt automobile
> battery here, why not operate the 1500  off battery power during field day?
> Then I got to thinking, I don't have a lap top and the PC the 1500 runs with
> is connected to the AC mains so I looked up the rules.  A class E station is
> one characterized as a home station running off battery power for the
> transmit and receive gear. So what do you think, would I be a Class E
> station? Or does the fact that technically the PC is part of the radio and
> is running off the mains violate the spirit of things?  I'm sure I can get
> clarification from the ARRL  but I though I'd give us something to chew on
> while we are waiting for the new notch!

I have gotten a 12V input switching supply to power the laptop. That allows
us to run the Flex on battery power only. This year we will be running a
Flex 3000, a Flex 5000, and an Elecraft K2. We will be 100% solar power.

BTW, if you want to know how to determine your battery capacity needs you
can read the article my students wrote about it for the February 2011 issue
of QST.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.