Guy Harris <w6...@guysfreehold.com> wrote:

>  A few weeks
> ago I purchased an UltraMax100 and used a 66ft wire instead of the 24ft
> that came with the matching network. I was startled to see another 5dB
> drop in "apparent" QRN.  I have seen days when the QRN is so quiet that it
> is sitting below -130dBm!!  I might add that the band was pretty dead
> also...

Suspicions....."apparent".... Is the drop of qrn reciprocated with a drop of
field strength transmitted. I've been chasing similar problems and found
changes (to grounding) made a vast improvement to the local qrn that I'm
plagued with (PLT adaptors I think!). Then I checked my antenna current, It
had similarly dropped, and signal reports confirmed my suspicion.

Subsequent changes to grounding have improved both S/N in and out. I'm still
cursing PLTs though!

--
Brian Duffell G3VGZ