From: "Ralph W5JGV" <w5...@w5jgv.com>
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:58:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Automatic bandswitching options for a homebrew amp

> I'm staring to build  the ARRL " homebrew challenge" amp kit that I
> bought recently. It is to go behind my 1500.   One thing I've been
> thinking about is that  it would be nice to have automatic band
> switching. I've seen the threads before concerning commercial amps  but
> I'm wondering if one is starting from scratch with a homebrew amp like
> this, what is the simplest route to go? Obviously I think I would use
> DDutil but how? Is a parallel port the only option? If so would one of
> the cheapie PCI plug in parallel port cars work or would I need full
> parallel port functions? I don't see why I would but want to be sure.
> What type of circuitry is used to accomplish the translation from the
> info DDUtil sends from the PP to the relays of my amplifier? Some type
> of logic board I would guess. I'm totally in the dark as to how this
> done so if someone could point me in the right direction where I can
> start researching, I'd appreciate it. Also would be nice if this was a
> fairly inexpensive project!...lol
> Thanks,
> Michael, W4HIJ

I didn't see a reply to this so...

The easiest way is probably to use a parallel port card to interface to
DDUTIL.  DDUTIL only talks to parallel port cards.  Then connect the
parallel port output signals to a Unified Microsystems BCD-10
decoder/interface card.

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html

That will convert the signals from DDUTIL to a series of optically isolated
relay closures to select the correct band relays in the amplifier.

You can probably use my setup guide for interfacing a F5K with PSDR to the
ALS-1300 amplifier.  That shows the settings for PSDR and DDUTIL to select
the various bands.

http://w5jgv.com/ALS-1300_to_F5K/index.htm

73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7