I was having this issue after I updated to Windows 7 using Bootcamp on my
Macbook (only a 2 Mhz dual core 2 duo).  Every few minutes the audio would
become distorted.  I tried implementing a lot of the ideas I have seen on the
reflector but they didn't help (at least the stuff I could find).  I then
disabled Windows Aero and that did the trick for me.  My audio hardly every
becomes distorted now.

Hope this might help.

73
Jim