For many years now on the short wave bands broadcast stations have been
using CCM (Controlled Carrier Modulation, also being called other names)
to reduce the carrier as much as 6db.  That along with multipath can
cause some strange distortion problems on the receive end.  That has as
of a few weeks ago been approved by the FCC for AM broadcast.  Add to
that stations can do 125 (or more) positive peak modulation and it makes
clean decoding a bit more of a challenge.

Dave
KU4B