250 will definitely NOT work! In addition to it possibly having a lot of
inefficiencies and hash, you  can see the weirdest things happen with an
underpowered PSU (things like devices disappearing from the device manager,
no either net port when its built into the motherboard, etc.).

400w is the minimum and I would recommend 500 watts personally

73

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Bill <billm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Tim Ellison, W4TME <t...@flex-radio.com>
> wrote:
> > Neal just told me...
> >
> > "Right now I would recommend the Asrock 880GM-LE micro-ATX board with the
> > AMD X4 970 chip, its an absolute smoker!! I did one this weekend and its
> > really (really) fast and really cheap."
> >
> > -Tim
>
> I've been thinking of upgrading and these components are relatively
> inexpensive while being a substantial upgrade over my current system.
> So, I ordered them.  I'd like to use my current PC power supply.  It
> is a 250W PS.  Does anyone know, or care to guess, if 250W is enough
> for the above motherboard and cpu?  Other components are 8 gigs ram, a
> Siig firewire card, a hard drive, an M-audio Delta 44 sound card, a
> Blue Ray burner, an external USB backup hard drive, and USB powered
> speakers.  If the power supply isn't powerful enough, how would I
> know?
>
> 73, Bill W8EI

Neal Campbell
Owner
Abroham Neal LLC
Work:    +1 540 645 5394
Mobile:  +1 540 645 8171
Save $100, $85 or $50 during our Holiday Computer Sale