On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Tony Estep <estept...@gmail.com> wrote:

> can't do the job. To make the Flex competitive with a good DX radio
> equipped with a good panadaptor, it needs the same control flexibility
> and power, and the DH2TW interface provides an excellent solution.
> This has been pointed out many times, including the recent QST review
> of the 1500.
>
> Note that Larry, who asked the question, is a serious and successful
> DXer with 5BDXCC. He has been using a setup that can do all the above.
> He'll soon figure out what works for him, but I don't think the best
> way to represent the capabilities of Flex gear is to say that its
> shortcomings are unimportant.

I think I did point out a significant shortcoming WRT RX2.

But I think that the key here is that Larry mentioned that he is abandoning
CW to focus on digital modes. This is a different style of operating. There
are both advantages and disadvantages to the flex radios in this area,
mostly having to do with limitations in PowerSDR, e.g. loss of "memory" in
the waterfall when retuning and the inability of RX to have a separate
output. The former affects all modes but the latter only affects digital
modes. Any mode where you use your ears, RX2 works fine the way it is.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.